I’m starting a business. What do I need to do about city taxes?

You will normally have to remit two types of city taxes: the net profits tax and (if you have employees) the employee withholding tax. The first is the tax due on profits of your business, whether your business is a sole proprietorship, corporation or partnership. Incidentally, all net profits earned by S-corporations are taxed at the corporate level. As such, the individual shareholders of S-corps are not taxed. All businesses, with the exception of sole proprietorships, file their city taxes using the Business Questionnaire.

Sole proprietorships file by reporting their Federal Schedule C income on the proprietor’s individual city return, if reporting tax to more than two cities; they must complete Schedule Y - Business allocation formula. Additional information is available in the return instructions.

To remit the second type of tax, the tax withheld from your employees’ wages, you will need to establish a withholding account with us. You do this by filing a Business Registration, which is a simple questionnaire. Employers are liable for all city withholding taxes that should have been withheld from their employee’s wages even if those taxes were not, in fact, withheld. Because of this obligation, you’ll want to make sure you call (937) 645-7350 to request a copy of the Business Registration form.

Show All Answers

1. What is the City of Marysville Income Tax rate and what type of income is taxable?
2. Can I forward my form to the Income Tax Division online?
3. I reside in Marysville, my wages are my only taxable income and my employer is withholding my Marysville tax liability properly. Do I need to file a Marysville tax return?
4. If I work outside Marysville, does the City receive any local income tax from me?
5. I am a Marysville resident and work in an area with no municipal tax. How often must I file with Marysville?
6. Is it possible to amend my estimate during the year?
7. Is there an age limit for individuals subject to Marysville Income Tax?
8. If I lived in Marysville for a portion of the year or turned eighteen during the year, do I still need to file?
9. I am retired, my only income is from Social Security, company pension, interest and/or dividends...am I required to file a City of Marysville Income Tax Return?
10. Can I receive assistance in preparing my city of Marysville Tax Return?
11. When can I expect my Income Tax Refund from the City?
12. How do I determine where my local tax is owed?
13. I am over eighteen, but currently attend college. Do I need to file a Marysville tax return?
14. My spouse and I file separately at the federal/state levels. Do I have to file the same for municipal purposes?
15. How do I know what city I live and/or work in?
16. I’m starting a business. What do I need to do about city taxes?
17. As an employer can I remit my W-2 information on magnetic media?
18. How can I make sure my employer is withholding the correct local tax from my wages?
19. I’m self-employed but my business has not shown a profit. Am I required to file a return?
20. I owe city taxes but I am unable to pay my full liability at the time my return is due, should I still file my return?
21. I’m a partner in a partnership and a Marysville resident. Do I owe Marysville tax on my income from the partnership?
22. What are the top 10 mistakes people make in filing a tax return?
23. Is there a tax credit for residents paying local taxes to another municipality of employment?
24. I work in Marysville and my employer withheld City tax, but I live in Columbus...how can I get a refund?